Jul
2013

Despite the many warnings pet owners receive during the summer months, far too many pets are left in cars to suffer from heat stroke and even death due to the overwhelming temperatures.

Because the animals in this predicament can't adequately voice their distress, Dr. Ernie Ward decided to spend 30 sweaty minutes inside a sweltering car with the windows cracked and capture his ordeal on video to educate pet owners.

Ward condensed his 30 minutes of enduring intense heat into the five-minute video you can view below:

Comments (7) -

Nicole Downer
Nicole DownerUnited States
7/5/2013 7:44:23 PM #

We live in Greenfield, IN and see too many heat stroke cases during the summer to mention. Some that have been saved, and some that haven't.
THANK YOU!! I hope that several people see this and have just a small idea of what it is like for the dogs...but like you said...truly can't understand until they themselves share in the experience.
Nicole Downer, RVT
Circle City Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Hospital

Danilo Bellucci DVM
Danilo Bellucci DVMItaly
7/5/2013 11:17:13 PM #

Great job ! My best compliments; I'll post your video in my website, in the section "News". The title is:" Non lasciare animali all'interno di auto parcheggiate". Best regards Danilo Bellucci

Liz Whitney DVM
Liz Whitney DVMUnited States
7/6/2013 7:49:35 AM #

Glad you did this.  It would be interesting to determine at what ambient temperature it is OK to have dogs in car.  Is it 60, 70, 80 (I think NOT)?  Your test was done at an ambient temperature of 95 degrees, which is hot enough that the majority of pet owners would know not to take the dog-  I realize there are exceptions that just don't think about it because the dog "likes" to go!  I do hope that this video gets lots of views and has some impact on dog owners.

clayton mackay
clayton mackayCanada
7/6/2013 9:16:51 AM #

Great job, Ernie! Am sure this may be one way for veterinarians to get this message out with a sense of urgency it requires. Hopefully lots of clinics will put this link on their websites. Best, C.

Tracy Jolliffe
Tracy JolliffeUnited States
7/13/2013 4:08:57 PM #

This was an awesome video, kudos to Dr. Ward for doing this.  I'm going to show this at our weekly meeting this coming week.  Thank you!
Tracy Jolliffe, LVT, VA

Laura Belleavoine
Laura BelleavoineUnited States
7/15/2013 7:18:15 AM #

This video is fantastic!!!!   Every Veterinary Hospital should be playing it in the waiting areas for all of their clients to see!

Allie
AllieCanada
7/15/2013 3:23:27 PM #

This is so important for people to see. I would suggest adding about 10 degrees to that temp. when you factor in a fur coat. Absolute torture. Good for you, Dr. Ward

Country flag

biuquote
  • Preview

American Animal Hospital Association | Copyright © 2014 | Privacy Statement | Contact Us